Monday night, all of us tucked away on the upper Texas Gulf Coast kept an eye on Tropical Storm Edouard. This storm happened to be zeroing in on us the very same week that Dad and Rob flew out of the country. I spent all day Monday preparing all three of our houses for the storm. That evening we (Steph, Mom and I) had a hurricane party on the bay. While the ladies sipped champagne I drowned my fears in the depths of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA. For those unfamiliar with 120 Minute, this is a 21% ABV beer unlike any other. Even as vigorously hopped as this beer is, the fermentables required to help this beer reach 21% ABV subdue what should be a very bitter beer. I wasn't concerned with a formal review as I had other things on my mind, but what really stuck out was a very prominent alcohol note, crisp apples, some tropical flavors I tend to associate to champagne and a very full mouthfeel. The photograph attached shows the 120 minute along with the calm before the storm. Well, that is sort of an exaggeration. The storm ended up hitting a bit north of us. The bay looked like a lake all day, there was no major flooding, none of our houses had any damage and we never saw any winds greater than about 35 knots max. All said and done, we lucked out. Did this extraordinary beer have anything to do with the storm's sudden change of position? I can't say for certain, but all signs point to yes.
Friday, August 8, 2008
120 Minutes of Luck?
Monday night, all of us tucked away on the upper Texas Gulf Coast kept an eye on Tropical Storm Edouard. This storm happened to be zeroing in on us the very same week that Dad and Rob flew out of the country. I spent all day Monday preparing all three of our houses for the storm. That evening we (Steph, Mom and I) had a hurricane party on the bay. While the ladies sipped champagne I drowned my fears in the depths of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA. For those unfamiliar with 120 Minute, this is a 21% ABV beer unlike any other. Even as vigorously hopped as this beer is, the fermentables required to help this beer reach 21% ABV subdue what should be a very bitter beer. I wasn't concerned with a formal review as I had other things on my mind, but what really stuck out was a very prominent alcohol note, crisp apples, some tropical flavors I tend to associate to champagne and a very full mouthfeel. The photograph attached shows the 120 minute along with the calm before the storm. Well, that is sort of an exaggeration. The storm ended up hitting a bit north of us. The bay looked like a lake all day, there was no major flooding, none of our houses had any damage and we never saw any winds greater than about 35 knots max. All said and done, we lucked out. Did this extraordinary beer have anything to do with the storm's sudden change of position? I can't say for certain, but all signs point to yes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment